Day 19: To the Moon and Beyond
For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
So just how high are the heavens above the earth? Think of it this way; our galaxy, the Milky Way, is a pancake shaped spiral of around 100-400 billion stars and 100 billion planets of which our earth is only one.
Light travels at a speed of 186,000 miles per second. One snap of your fingers and light has traveled 186,000 miles. The distance light travels in a year at that speed is a light year. Now to go from one edge of the Milky Way to the other would take 100,000 light years! And the Milky Way is only one of 350 billion galaxies in the universe.
God says, “I’ve set my glory above the heavens,” (Psalm 8:1). What does that mean? The works of God’s hands are awesome, but it is the wonders of His love that is His true glory—above the heavens. And that’s how much He loves you.
And that’s not all! As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. Just from the east edge of the galaxy to the west edge is 100,000 light years, but the universe is infinite. If God has forgiven you, those sins are never coming back! Truly God is great. Praise and thank Him today for His infinite love.
Alter Your Altar (Ideas for Family Worship)
- Reflect on the sixth phrase of the “Lord’s Prayer,” (“Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors”). Ask Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How questions and then use your sharing time to focus your prayers.
- Do some star gazing—even if you have to use Google photos. Look at pictures of the Milky Way Galaxy and try to find the earth. What does this tell you about God and His love for us?
- Have children draw pictures of the sun, moon, stars, and earth . . . and then where they live on the earth. Have them draw an arrow showing how far east is from west. Praise God for His forgiveness.
Please Pray . . .
- For a forgiving spirit towards those who have wronged you.
- For Mountain View School and Northwest Christian School.
- For police and firefighters.