Thank you for your individual and organizational commitment to help keep our communities healthy and strong and decrease risks through everyday actions.
From Craig Mattson, Washington Conference vice president for education
Dear Friends of Adventist Education,
Our Office of Education has been contacted several times this week with questions regarding the health and wellness of our schools, our teachers, and our students.
The rise of the coronavirus has indeed stirred much fear and speculation. I feel it is important to communicate to you the facts, what we know and the state of our schools today.
Fact 1: It is very important to know that as of today, there have been NO cases of coronavirus in our system.
No students, teachers, staff members, or parents have been diagnosed with the virus. Our Seventh-day Adventist community remains healthy and virus free as of today.
Fact 2: One teacher in our system with flu-like symptoms prudently submitted for coronavirus testing.
After several rounds of screening, the teacher was cleared to recover from the flu at home.
Fact 3: As of today, several of our schools have made a proactive decision to close and clean.
Local school administrators know their school community best, and each school is actively evaluating its risk factors to determine whether to stay open, close for cleaning, postpone events, or temporarily move to online education.
Current state of our schools:
- AAA – Distance Learning Days begin Friday, March 6, through Friday, March 20. The campus is closed through Spring Break for deep cleaning. Students will be back in session Monday, March 30 (dorms re-open Sunday, March 29). Amateur Hour on March 7 and Hearts of Gold on March 8 are both postponed and will be rescheduled.
- Sky Valley – Closed today (March 5) and tomorrow (March 6) for deep cleaning
- KSDA/PSAA – Open Monday (March 2) only and closed Tues – Fri. for deep cleaning
- Forest Park - Open Monday (March 2) only and closed Tues – Fri. for deep cleaning
- Cypress – Closed Wednesday ONLY (March 4) for cleaning and plan to have their Open House this Sunday, March 8, from 2-4 pm as scheduled
Thank you for your individual and organizational commitment to help keep our communities healthy and strong and decrease risks through everyday actions: practice and encourage good hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette, environmental sanitation, and staying home if sick or immunocompromised. We will continue to keep you updated as new information is available.
Please join us as we continue to lift our schools up in prayer as we seek God’s guidance to safeguard the health of our school communities.
Published March 5, 2020