CHURCHES, MEMBERS & TREASURERS
Your Tithe Dollar Explained
The Bible explains tithe as 10 percent of your increase. Tithe comes to the "storehouse" to be distributed for ministry. How does tithe benefit your local church?
Let's say you attend a 375 member church and your church returns $558,627 in tithe each year. Where does this 2.83% of Washington Conference gross tithe go?
Tithe Example Breakdown
- 16% - The North American Division & General Conference receive $89,380
- 9% - The North Pacific Union Conference receives $50,276
- 0.85% - Small Conference Assistant Fund receives $4,748
- 11.1% - Retired Church Workers receive $62,007
- 3% - Walla Walla University & Oakwood University receive $16,758
- 60% - Washington Conference receives $335,458
But wait...where is the local church in this picture?
Local Church Benefit
In this example, Washington Conference retains $335,457 in tithe from the 375 member example church. This is how the local church with 375 members benefits.
- 40% - Pastoral Support for $132,841*
- 20% - Education Funding for $67,091
- 1% - Evangelism Funding for $4,092
- 2% - Children & Youth Ministry Funding for $6,575
- 8% - Various Ministry Funding for $26,333
- 15% - Retirement Funding for $50,318
- 13% - Support Services for $42,401
- Pastoral Coverage - up to $100K for local pastor salary & benefits (*plus funding support for smaller churches whose tithe base cannot afford a full or part time pastor)
- Education Subsidies - For 2 constituent schools, approximately $422,712
- Evangelism Funds - up to and sometimes exceeding 70% of meeting cost
- Sunset Lake Camp Subsidies - funding for children to attend summer camp at reduced rates
- Camp Meeting
- Regional Events for Men, Women, & Families
- Pathfinder/Adventurer Club Support & Activities
- Youth & Young Adult Ministry Coordination, Training & Events
- Community Service Coordination & Events
- Gleaner & Adventist World Magazine Subscriptions
- Member Access to Trust Services & Planned Giving Assistance for Free
Still Have Questions?
We're here to answer your church finance questions!